Bud Meade's Lesson Learned - Uncured Epoxy
We bought a 94 Seaward 25 in the middle of March. I have
been working on fixing various things for the last couple of months.
Re-wiring, re-insulating the ice box, re-plumbing, making new galley
counter top, relocating sink, installing set of drawers and door under
galley. Then there was the problem with mast compression. The fix involved
a lot of reinforcing of the bulkhead area. On Thursday, May 22 I used
epoxy to glue in some reinforcement between the cabin top and the
bulkhead. It was cool, I mixed a big batch which was way more than I
needed. Added filler so that it was thicker than peanut butter. Tossed the
remainder in a locker along with the paper towels I used to clean up after
the epoxy job. A little while later, when I was driving away I noticed
smoke billowing out of the companionway. Ran to the house, called 911 and
asked for the fire dept to come to the house. Put together 3 hoses to try
to reach the boat which was out in the street. By then, flames and black
smoke were pouring out of the boat.
May 27, 2003
Click images to enlarge.
BYC Photo Album